Visualize class inheritance hierarchy

Rob Kirkpatrick robert.d.kirkpatrick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:53:03 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I just finished debugging some code where I needed to determine why
one subclass had a bound method and another did not.  They had
different pedigree's but I didn't know immediately what the
differences were.

I ended up walking the hierarchy, going back one class at a time
through the code, for the two subclasses (hierarchy ~7 classes deep
each) to see whom they inherited from.  Short of writing this down on
paper, is there any way to graphically display the pedigree of an
object/class?  "Graphically" can be text output to the terminal, don't
need anything special...

I'm assuming this has been discussed before, but I'm lacking any
Google keywords that bring up the appropriate discussion.

Cheers,
Rob