Understanding the pythonic way: why a.x = 1 is better than a.setX(1) ?

Marco Bizzarri marco.bizzarri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 01:17:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can write code to guard against this if you want:
>
> class A:
>    legal = set(["x"])
>    def __setattr__(self,attr,val):
>        if attr not in self.legal:
>            raise AttributeError("A object has no attribute '%s'" %
> attr)
>        self.__dict__[attr] = val
>    def __init__(self,x):
>        self.y = x
>

> I suspect most people who go into Python doing something like this
> soon abandon it when they see how rarely it actually catches anything.
>

> Carl Banks
> --

<marco_scracthing_his_head>

Carl, I think I did not explained what I was asking the right way.

</marco_scracthing_his_head>

I'm not asking: "how can I do this sort of checks in Python": as I
stated before, if I want them, I will go for Java, or some other
language like that.

I understand that Python is a balance between different forces (like
any software object around the world) and I'm simply asking some
pointers to the discussion leading to this balance.

That's all.

--
Marco Bizzarri
http://notenotturne.blogspot.com/