modules path

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Sep 6 18:25:19 EDT 2008

On Sep 7, 8:03 am, Python <pyt... at rgbaz.eu> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I moved a few modules into the modules folder (on OSX: /opt/local/lib/
> python2.5/site-packages/).
> They don't show up though when I start IDLE...
>
> Is there a way to reload the modules folders in sys.path without
> logging out and back in?

I know nothing about OS X, but no "reload" step should be necessary.
Each Python process, whether run from IDLE or some other tool or from
the shell, will form its own idea of sys.path.

So: What modules? What type of file (.py, .pyc, .egg, .zip, .so) are
you talking about? Did their documentation say that moving the files
into site-packages was all the installation that was needed? What does
"don't show up when I start IDLE" mean?

When you start IDLE and do
    import sys, pprint
    pprint.pprint(sys.path)
do you see the site-packages directory containing the module files?

What happens when you do
   import amodule # substitute correct module name here
?

Repeat the above two steps for each of
(1) running Python from the shell
(2) running Python from the shell with the -v option

HTH,
John