Inquiry regarding the name of subprocess.Popen class

Miles semanticist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 00:20:18 EDT 2008

Derek Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:55:54PM +0000, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
>> but the instances of `Popen` are no actions.  There's no way to
>> "execute" a `Popen` instance.
>
> Yes there is... you execute it when you instantiate the object.  At
> the time of instantiation, you "open" the "P" (pipes).

The subprocess module is also supposed to replace os.system and
os.spawn*, neither of which involve opening pipes. (I use it for that
functionality just as often, if not more so, as for piped subprocess
communication).  All rationalizations aside, I think Popen is a poor
name for the class.  But I would imagine the odds of it ever being
changed are miniscule (Python 4?).

-Miles