Eggs, VirtualEnv, and Apt - best practices?

Scott Sharkey ssharkey at linuxunlimited.com
Thu Sep 25 15:17:40 EDT 2008

Hello all,

Our development group at work seems to be heading towards adopting
python as one of our standard "systems languages" for internal
application development (yeah!).  One of the issues that's come up is
the problem with apt (deb packages) vs eggs, vs virtual environments.
We're probably gonna end up using Pylons or TurboGears for web-based
apps, and I've recommended virtualenv, but one of the other developers
has had some "inconsistencies" when mixing systems with python installed
from apt (all our servers are debian or ubuntu based) vs when installed
under virtualenv.

I have basically recommended that we only install the python base (core
language) from apt, and that everything else should be installed into
virtual environments. But I wanted to check to see how other enterprises
are handling this issue?  Are you building python from scratch, or using
specific sets of .deb packages, or some other process.

Any insight into the best way to have a consistent, repeatable,
controllable development and production environment would be much
appreciated.

Suggestions on build/rollout tools (like zc.buildout, Paver, etc) would
also be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

-Scott