python debugger tips?

Pat Pat at junk.net
Fri Oct 17 10:51:18 EDT 2008

just.another.random.user at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm switching to python from perl, and like the language a ton, but I
> find pdb and pydb to be vastly inferior debuggers to the perl version.
>
> In particular, I've grown very used to stepping into arbitrary
> functions interactively.  For instance, in perl you can do this:

> Does anyone have advice on any macros or something that i could use to
> do this?
>
> Additionally, what do people recommend as good "advanced" python
> debugger guides?  Explaining breakpoints and all is useful, but I
> really want to know how to make sophisticated macros and interact with
> the debugger from the interactive prompt.
>
> Thanks!

I'd strongly recommend you try Wing Pro IDE (Windows or *IX)

http://wingware.com/

Free 30 day trial (10 days at a time). You can download and fully use
the program (it's not crippled) without having to use a credit card.
$179/user/operating system.

Absolutely great for debugging code.  You can take chunks of code and
put into the integrated  Python shell (a Wing pane) and test it out.

As I'm writing code, I test out each line then blocks of code.  While
running the program, the integrated Python shell recognizes your
variables and you can modify them on the fly.

I found Eclipse to be inscrutable for Python but I was able to
understand and use Wing within an hour or so.  There's a free
showmedo.com video of the Wing IDE
(http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=pythonOzsvaldWingIDEIntro)

Wing IDE Pro is missing some features that Eclipse has but I thought
that Wing was so much better than Eclipse that I paid for Wing Pro.  The
license allowed me to put it on my home and work computers.   I am in no
way affiliated with the company except that I'm a very satisfied customer.