Python IDLE and Access Denied

W. eWatson notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 14 10:18:40 EDT 2008

W. eWatson wrote:
> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:07:06 -0700, "W. eWatson"
>> <notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>>
>>> I had just finished working with IDLE, and tried to double-click on a
>>> py file. It produced an OK dialog with the path to the file and the
>>> msg "access denied." All my py files act that way. I rebooted and the
>>> same thing continues. I copied one py program to another computer,
>>> and accessed it there. Python 2.4. Suggestions?
>>
>>     Off-hand, I'd suspect some of your mistakes in trying to get a
>> console to run Python programs has left the association between .py and
>> the Python interpreter in a mess.

>> ftype python.file
>>
>> exactly -- nothing else, and see what it displays. If it looks anything
>> other than (change the E: to whatever your installation uses)
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Dennis Lee Bieber>ftype python.file
>> python.file="E:\Python24\python.exe" "%1" %*
>>
>> then you'll need to change it... (again ensure the path is correct)
>>
>> ftype python.file="E:\Python24\python.exe" "%1" %*
>>

>>     The other place to explore would be from a directory window:
>> Tools/Folder Options/File Types
>>
>> Find PY, click [advanced], select open, click [edit]
>>
>>     In the "Application used..." box, you should see (again, adjust for
>> your path)
>>
>> "E:\Python24\python.exe" "%1" %* [x] use DDE
>> Application: Python
>> Topic: System
>>
>> (Hmmm, I don't recall if DDE is really applicable, but that's what mine
>> shows).
>>

> Thanks, again, but this one mysteriously disappeared. I managed to open
> my py file into IDLE and saved it to see if that would work. It did and
> all is well.

Well, the story isn't quite over. I discovered the message appears only
outside of Idle. However, within Idle it can read and save the file. My
guess is that it's more likely the matplotlib install went haywire, or a
week before this a disk failure caused the problem. By pure luck, I managed
to restore the drive. In any case, I can still proceed.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>