How to setup pythonpath in Ubuntu8.04

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Mon Oct 6 22:46:33 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Steve <hxianping at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu8.04 wrapped python25 and set python25 as default python path in
> the shell.Now I want upgrade to python26,how I set up python26 as
> default python path?Thanks a lot!
> --

What do you mean by that? "Python path" usually refers to the list of places
Python looks for modules. If you mean replace it as the default version of
python, just change /usr/bin/python to a sym-link pointing to python26.
Assuming python26 is installed in /opt/python26, I'd run the following
commands. The first one allows you to still use python2.5. Warning: I'm not
actually in my Ubuntu partition right now, so this is untested. Also, many
of Ubuntu's system applications are written in python. I don't know how this
will affect them.

$ sudo mv /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python25
$ sudo ln -s /opt/python26/python /usr/bin/python