Is ctypes appropriate in my case?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 30 13:36:29 EDT 2008

dudeja.rajat at gmail.com wrote:

>     For CPython, an importable module written in C.  There is a doc
>     Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter.  But I expect you
>     can write the class in Python with ctypes.
>

> Thanks Terry. I'll be using ctypes now and have started writing the class.
> But the problem is that there are some 150 APIs exposed by the dll.

Ugh ;-)

> Is
> there any tool that can autogenerate some of the member functions for
> the class since new APIs might as well get added in future.
>
> Could SWIG be of use here?

I have the impression that SWIG has multiple backends for different
languages.  There is one for automating much of the work of producing an
extension module.  I presume there could be one, if not already, that
produced Python/cytpe code instead of C code.  That would be a nice
thing to have.

You can find threads about real experiences with SWIG in the clp
archives at google groups.