What's the perfect (OS independent) way of storing filepaths ?

Tue Oct 21 08:04:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:32:14 +0200, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

> Users who like to go inside "Documents and Settings\Application data"
> and delete things without knowing what they do deserve to have a
> malfunctioning system for sure.

The worst consequence from deleting a settings file should be to revert
to factory defaults (which, admittedly, may mean the software can't do
anything useful until you configure it). It should NEVER be malfunction
or data loss.

Of course, that's in principle. In practice, most software is
insufficiently defensive to work that way. In the Real World, deleting
settings files can have any consequence from nothing at all to serious
meltdown.

But as a matter of principle, users should be able to delete settings
files and lose nothing more than, well, settings. That's why it's a
SETTINGS file, not a DATA file. Settings should be information that can
be easily regenerated if lost. Anything that can't easily be regenerated,
like address books and bookmarks, are documents, not settings. Any
program which hides such documents in a hidden settings directory where
users can't easily make backup copies is a badly behaved program.

> BTW it would be nice to have a standard 'Application data" like
> directory under UNIX. It is true that all kinds of programs will create
> .app files in your home dir which is not very polite.

Agreed, except I hope that when it eventually happens, the name won't
have a space in it, and it especially won't include the word "My" (as in
"My Settings", "My Preferences", or "My Application Data").

--
Steven