distributing apps without the Python source?

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Wed Oct 8 17:50:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
> Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch a écrit :
>>
>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:59:44 -0500, skip wrote:
>>> Though of course there is decompyle to consider, assuming Joe's client
>>> is truly paranoid.
>>
>> Simply don't tell the client.  All he has to know is that it's basically
>> the same as Java *.class files.  Most paranoid clients are fine with that.
>>  Unless you tell them there are decompilers for *.class files.  :-)
>>
> FWIW, even native binary code can be 'disassembled' and hacked.

I must point out though that if your client
is paranoid for intellectual property reasons
(ie: protecting his assets), then you should
be aware that even if you can decompile
a Python compiled module (or a compiled
java class), it's generally pretty useless in this
form to any would-be-thief.

Decompiling/Disassembling never gets you
the original source code back.

cheers
James

-- "Problems are solved by method"