Windows DOS box redirection

Shawn Milochik Shawn at milochik.com
Fri Oct 31 14:35:01 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Bill McClain
<20080915.20.wmcclain at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> On 2008-10-31, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well I don't know any Windows users that still use DOS-boxes ;-)
>> cheers,
>
> What do they do when they want to run a cross-platform command-line script
> with parameters and redirection?
>
> I suppose they could install cygwin and run bash, but that seems like overkill
> for what should be a simple task.

Easy. Make a desktop shortcut which includes the parameters, etc.
People do that all the time, including for GUI apps such as Internet
Explorer which have some optional command-line shortcuts.

The only thing you have to do is make sure that the Windows machine
associates files with the .py extensions with the Python interpreter.
The easiest way is to right-click a .py file, select "Choose an
Application," select the Python runtime, and check the box for "always
use this program.