IDLE on py3k

Jonathan Saxton jsaxton at appsecinc.com
Mon Oct 13 09:56:08 EDT 2008

Being a bit of an old fart, I much prefer to do my text editing on a dark
background.  I find the paper-emulation paradigm an interesting idea but
lacking in ergonomic value.

With a bit of jiggering I was able to get the 2.5 version of IDLE to work
the way I want, namely a black background with text in various colours.  I
can ALMOST do the same thing with the IDLE that comes with python 3 except
that the window background remains steadfastly white.  So I see colour on
black for all the portions of the screen where text appears, but the blank
areas (end of line to right margin) are white.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem or am I the only one to even try
it?