Developing for Python (2.x or 3)?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Oct 21 14:17:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of choosing which Python version for a brand new
> application. Van Rossum in an interview recently advised all new
> applications to use Python3 but I am afraid, most libraries (PyGtk,
> PyQt, Networking Libs, etc) won't follow suit to 3.0 and I will end up
> using a version of the language which can't connect to libraries because
>  they haven't been ported yet.
>
> Should this be a concern?

The libraries, especially the big ones, will eventually be ported to Python
3. My advice would be start using Python 2.5 or 2.6 (hopefully all of the
libraries will have 2.6 versions really soon) and use __future__ imports to
keep your program as close to Python 3 compatible as possible. That way, you
won't have any problems when everyone starts switching to Python 3 (which
probably won't be for another couple of years)