dictionary

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Oct 28 13:18:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:41:20 -0400
Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Sorry, you are thinking of bistable multivibrators. I was talking about
> the Wiliams tube store:
>
>   http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/SEAC-Williams-tube-desc.html

Very cool.  Yes, I was thinking of something else.  However, Williams'
first attempt at storing memory on a CRT (1946) stored only one bit.

> I don't ever remember programming to cope with equipment failure,
> however. Did you make that bit up?

No, I read it many years ago.  However, I cannot find the reference
(try searching for anything computer related and "shopping cart.") so I
cannot check the story's veracity.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves