Python 2.5 + sqlite full text search possible?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Oct 28 11:44:46 EDT 2008

Guillermo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to use the full-text module of SQLite with the sqlite3
> module? I've done a bit of investigation and it seems the stand-alone
> distribution of SQLite is compiled without it,

Yes, though compiling using the amalgamation and defining
SQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 helps.

> and so does the version bundled with Python.

True.

I'm too lazy to build a SQLite3 DLL with FTS enabled, I'm pretty sure
those can be found on the net.

But I've just patched pysqlite with one line:

+            ext.define_macros.append(("SQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3", "1"))   #
build with fulltext search enabled

which helped its super-crazy script mkwin32.py to build Windows binaries
  *on Linux* that fetch the SQLite amalgamation and build Windows
binaries for Python 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 (no 2.6, yet).

Just go here
http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/download/pysqlite/2.5/2.5.0/win32_fts/

download and install the binary for Python 2.5 and off you go:

> from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite3
>
> con = sqlite3.connect(":memory:")
>
> # example from SQLite wiki
> con.execute("create virtual table recipe using fts3(name, ingredients)")
> con.executescript("""
>     insert into recipe (name, ingredients) values ('broccoli stew', 'broccoli peppers cheese tomatoes');
>     insert into recipe (name, ingredients) values ('pumpkin stew', 'pumpkin onions garlic celery');
>     insert into recipe (name, ingredients) values ('broccoli pie', 'broccoli cheese onions flour');
>     insert into recipe (name, ingredients) values ('pumpkin pie', 'pumpkin sugar flour butter');
>     """)
> for row in con.execute("select rowid, name, ingredients from recipe where name match 'pie'"):
>     print row

-- Gerhard