Commercial Products in Python

Paulo J. Matos pocmatos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:07:39 EDT 2008

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Paulo J. Matos a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was just wondering, if you wish to commercialize an application
>> developed in Python, what's the way to go?
>> I guess the only way is to sell the source, right?
>
> Nope, why ?
>
>> This is because (and tell me if I am wrong):
>> 1) You can't sell an executable because Python doesn't compile to native
>> code (the usual approach, afaik);
>> 2) You can't sell the bytecode, otherwise you get the client stuck with
>> a specific python version (given bytecode might vary between versions)
>> (the alternative);
>
> This is the case for quite a few languages (VB6 and Java just to name a
> few), and it seems like it didn't prevent anyone writing and selling
> commercial software written with these languages.
>
> --

Truth is I am ignorant as how Java packages are sold. :) About VB I
thought they generate an executable and that is installed on the clients
computer (at least in old VB5, I guess).

Question remains, how would you do it with Python? (I am not saying that
you can't in Python, I just really don't know!)

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
Webpage: http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm