How do you get rid of useless warnings?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Oct 7 13:00:37 EDT 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:

>   /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py:32:
  DeprecationWarning: NumpyTest will be removed in the next release;
  please update your code to use nose or unittest

> I'm also not using "the next release" of scipy, I'm using
> _this_ release of scipy.  I've no clue what any of the "nose"
> or "unittest" stuff is about,

Unittest is a stdlib module.  Nose is a 3rd party test framework built
on top of unittest.  The code you are running currently uses NumpyTest.
In the future relative to the release you are using, NumpyTest will
disappear but can be replaced either with unittest or nose.

If the -W warning suppression does not work as advertised, now is the
time to check the tracker at bugs.python.org to see if there is already
a report for 2.5 (possibly closed) and if not, make one.  2.5.3 will be
released in a month or two and will be the last general bugfix release
for that series.  A report will not guarantee a fix, but no report will
guarantee no fix.

tjr