Distributing compiled (swig) python modules

Wed Oct 15 09:22:07 EDT 2008

mathieu wrote:
>...Is there some documentation (that I missed in my previous google
> search) that describe how to prepare python module that can be
> redistributed with some kind of backward compatibility (= so that when
> prepared on python 2.4, it works on 2.5/2.6 at least) ?

Nope, you didn't miss it.  Each major version change (2.3.X -> 2.4.X,
2.4.X -> 2.5.X, ...) changes the Python VM and internals.  There is no
way below Python source (.pyc, .pyo, or .pyd) to stay compatible.  That
is why Python projects offer code in Python version-specific packages.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org