Porting VB apps to Python for Window / Linux use

infixum ctrachte at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:06:31 EDT 2008

On Oct 19, 12:51 am, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message <mailman.2628.1224335541.3487.python-l... at python.org>, Dotan
> > Cohen wrote:
>
> >> I often see mention of SMBs that either want to upgrade their Windows
> >> installations, or move to Linux, but cannot because of inhouse VB
> >> apps.
>
> > Probably best to leave those legacy VB apps alone and develop new
> > replacements in a more open, cross-platform language, like Python.
>
> Sorry but for GUI design, Python is pre-historic ;-)
> Stef

Some folks below mention wxPython, which (I think) works pretty
decently.

Another option is IronPython, the dot net based version of Python.
Much of it runs under Mono on Linux.  The dot Net Windows and controls
look decent in both environments (Windows and Linux), and aren't that
difficult to code.

IronPython has a mailing list; you might want to cross-post there.