processing email with Python on Windows?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 16:51:34 EDT 2008

On Oct 3, 9:01 am, Beliavsky <beliav... at aol.com> wrote:
> I work for a financial company where we run Windows XP and read email
> using Microsoft Outlook 2003. I get daily files that come as email
> attachments from various counterparties. I save them as h:\firm_name
> \yyyymmdd.csv . Would Python be a good tool to automate the process of
> saving reports, or would it be more convenient to use a Microsoft
> proprietary language such as VB or C#? Of course one factor is one's
> relative competence with the various languages.

Python can do it using the PyWin32 package. You'll probably connect to
it with COM or ctypes and hack at it that way. Do a Google search for
Python and Outlook and you'll find various ideas, such as the ones at
this link:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2008-July/007857.html

I recommend giving it a try and if you get stuck, post to the PyWin32
user's group: