Finding the instance reference of an object

Aaron Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 23:28:43 EDT 2008

On Oct 31, 4:23 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:55:57 -0700, Aaron Brady wrote:
snip
> > After that's established, we
> > can proceed to evaluating what 'call by value' would behave like, which
> > would then determine if Python behaves like it.
>
> Call by value is traditionally defined in at least some languages as
> meaning that a copy of the value of the parameter is passed to the
> function. Those languages include C and Pascal, and possibly Basic. I'd
> estimate that 80% of programmers over the last 40 years have had their
> understanding of "call by whatever" shaped by those three languages.

I see.  Python promises not to make a copy unless you explicitly tell
it to.  Therefore, Python is not call-by-value.  Did I miss a step?

Formally:

M: Call-by-value makes a copy.
m: Python does not make a copy.
C: Python is not call-by-value.

> > So, logically, if... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made
> > of wood.
>
> Nice one :)

Har har!