Deviation from object-relational mapping (pySQLFace)

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Tue Oct 14 04:09:18 EDT 2008

sulyokpeti at gmail.com a écrit :
(snip)
> It is not convincing to look at an XML file alone. Let me give you an
> example. Glade is a GTK+ application for creating GTK+ GUI. It
> generates an XML file, that can be loaded in every programming
> language that has libglade binding.
> Similarly, there could be a
> database design tool to create a database, and save SQL/DML
> expressions into an XML config file.

Why so ? What's wrong with a plain SQL file ? We already have a language
for RDBMS schema description, and the schema description is itself
stored in the RDBMS catalog so the SQL description can be regenerated
from the RDBMS. I just don't see the point of storing all this in XML.

> Then you create the RDB command
> objects by loading the XML in your favourite language.
> I think programming languages are intended for describing neither relational
> databases nor GUIs.

SQLAlchemy is an interesting attempt at integrating the relational model
in a programming language.

Ok, I don't mean neither of us is necessarily right and the other wrong
- different POV, mostly, so I guess we can at least agree to disagree !-)