When Python should not be used?

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 17:40:59 EDT 2008

2008/10/6 Andrea Francia
<andrea.francia at remove-from-here.ohoihihoihoih.to-here.gmx.it>:
> The right tool depends on the current problem.
>
> While some python users prefer to talk about when Python is the right tool I
> think that it is more instructive to know when it is not.
>
> Please, could you let me know what do you think about that?

I don't think it would be the best tool for mission critical / safety
of life applications, or for hard real-time embedded systems.  There
are also areas where domain-specific languages have advantages over
general purpose languages (although the domain-specific language can
be wrapped in a Python library, of course, as is the case with regexp
support). Logic languages still seem to have the edge over imperative
in some AI and theorem proving applications (although I suppose one
/could/ implement Prolog in Python, if Prolog is what you need it's
probably best to go straight there).

--
Tim Rowe