Type feedback tool?

Martin Vilcans martin at librador.com
Mon Oct 27 18:21:25 EDT 2008

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've implemented a simple
solution using sys.settrace. It's quite nice because it doesn't
require any instrumentation of the code (it works like a debugger that
traps all function calls).

Here's the output I get right now when "profiling" Skip's example code
(but without using decorators):

fib2 (testee.py:8)
1 arguments
  n: <type 'float'> (1) <type 'int'> (23)

main (testee.py:17)
0 arguments

fib (testee.py:1)
1 arguments
  n: <type 'float'> (9) <type 'int'> (15)

This means that fib2 has been called once with a float in the n
parameter, and 23 times with an int, etc.

There's more work to be done to make this a robust tool (which is why
I was hoping there already existed a tool for this). It should handle
varargs and keyword arguments properly, and probably needs to handle
exceptions better. I'll see if I can run it on real code tomorrow and
see if the results are useful.

Martin

martin at librador.com
http://www.librador.com