having a function in a separate file

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 4 23:49:35 EDT 2008

Maryam Saeedi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a very basic question. I was wondering if I can have a function
> in a separate file

Yes, the separate file become a module.

> and in my main file sort of import that function and

Yes.  either of

import somemod # and use somemod.func

from somemod import func # and use func

> if so are all the variables local

The function can access built-in objects and objects in the module it is
defined in.  Otherwise, it has locals just as usual.

> and if I need any variables in the  function I should give it as an input?

Yes.

> I need to call a function in many different tasks and I am improving
> that function so I prefer to make the changes only once. If you have any
> example I really appreciate it.

Look at Python coded files in the the standard library.  Look in
.../Pythonx.y/Lib to find them.

tjr