Database specialized in storing directed graphs?

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:37:10 EDT 2008

On Oct 27, 8:32 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this.
>
> This is not to study graph theory; I'm using the graph to represent a
> problem domain.  The graphs could be arbitrarily large, and could
> easily have millions of nodes, and most nodes have a substantial
> amount of data associated with them.  Obviously I don't want a whole
> such graph in memory at once, so libraries the just deal with in-
> memory graphs are out.
>
> I know I could implement this with a relational DB, and I'd be fine
> with a library that was built on top of one.  But I'm hoping for
> specialzed behavior useful for graphs.

If you're looking for FOSS, the Boost graph library [1] or its
parallel extension [2] is probably your best bet; it also comes with
Python bindings but they are not maintained any more. For commercial
solutions, Star-P [3] seems an interesting platform, with bindings to
Matlab and Python. Freebase [4] is apparently built on a special graph
database but unfortunately only the stored data are available, not the
DB source code.

George

[1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/libs/graph/doc/index.html
[2] http://www.osl.iu.edu/research/pbgl/