decent interactive python shell on MS Windows?

Jason Scheirer jason.scheirer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:10:45 EDT 2008

On Oct 1, 9:53 am, james.kiri... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After having used Python on Linux for some time, I now have to do
> Python coding on Windows. I am big fan of the interactive Python shell
> to test, eg, regexps.
>
> Is there an interactive Python shell on Windows that supports:
>
> - easy copy-pasting to/from an editor? (as opposed to the cumbersome
> "mark", "copy" and then "paste" sequence that any terminal on Windows
> seems forced to adopt)
>
> - readline-like command history (up/down for previous/next command,
> Ctr-R for searching, etc) ?
>
> I have tried the python.org shell (difficult copy-pasting),
> ActiveState's (no readline command history) and iPython (difficult
> copy-pasting). Do you know of any decent interactive python shell on
> Windows that comes close to the friendliness of the standard one on
> Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> James

Which is the 'standard' one you use on Linux? Are you unhappy with
Idle? It's there in your start menu under Python. You can also try
PythonWin's python interpreter, which is pretty nice, and PyCrust/
PyShell/etc, which come with the wxPython demo bundle.

Then you can move up to Komodo or the Wing IDE, which are more
comprehensive but not really nice for just the sort of regex-testing,
desktop calculator tasks where you want something up and running
quickly.