python3 - the hardest hello world ever ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 16 21:21:51 EDT 2008

Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I have always worked with latin-1 strings with an US locale under
> python-2.x with x < 6 (I haven't tried 2.6, though). I hope to switch to
> 3.0 as soon as possible.

Having the luxury of not needing 3rd party extensions for my current
work, I already have, and love it.

A few month ago I still thought I had no personal need for Unicode.
Then my daughter announced that she wanted to learn Japanese.  My mind
was changed.

We will all be happier, I think, when output devices routinely accept
UTF-8 streams and display the full current Unicode character set.

tjr