Commercial Products in Python

Sebastian Bassi sbassi at clubdelarazon.org
Tue Oct 21 13:59:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering, if you wish to commercialize an application
> developed in Python, what's the way to go?

You choose the conditions. Nothing in Python license prevents you of
selling your work.

> I guess the only way is to sell the source, right?

No

> This is because (and tell me if I am wrong):
> 1) You can't sell an executable because Python doesn't compile to native
> code (the usual approach, afaik);

There are py2exe utilities to compile Python applications.

> 2) You can't sell the bytecode, otherwise you get the client stuck with
> a specific python version (given bytecode might vary between versions)
> (the alternative);

Never heard of people selling bytecode, but I guess yes, it is tied to
the same version where is was produced.

--
Sebastián Bassi. Diplomado en Ciencia y Tecnología.
Vendo isla: http://www.genesdigitales.com/isla