PyGUI as a standard GUI API for Python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Oct 13 17:12:28 EDT 2008

lkcl wrote:
> On Oct 11, 11:17 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
>> lkcl wrote:
>>
>> I got the impression that there is currently no Windows binary
>> available.  Correct?  If not, perhaps someone trustworthy will someday
>> donate one.
>
> sorry, terry, you deleted a bit too much context :)

I was referring to this at pyjd.org:

Pre-built amd64 .debs are available for download, providing
pywebkitgtk-1.0, libwebkit-1.0-2 and libwebkit-dev, here:

     * Download libwebkit-dev, libwebkit-1.0-2 and pywebkitgtk-1.0

and this
 >> If not, perhaps someone trustworthy will someday donate one.

was my acknowledgement that a Windows binary is not trivial and that I
don't expect one from you after all the nice work you have done.

[compiling with mingw32]
> why the python developers didn't include the patches, and keep them up-
> to-date, isn't clear.

Mostly likely because no one who uses mingw32 has volunteered to become
the mingw32 Python developer who would update such patches to current
Python (now 2.6/3.0) and support them by responding to bug reports and
by upgrading them to 2.7/3.1 in the next few years.

Any system supported in core Python code with a set of #includes needs
*someone* who will support that set.  If the supporter disappears and no
one else volunteers, the #includes become obsolete and get deleted.

Terry Jan Reedy