Python suitable for Midi ?

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Tue Oct 28 13:13:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 06:54:57PM +0200, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> The problem I've run into is that I can't set the audio to a higher
> priority than the GUI (Tkinter).  If I move the mouse over the app, no
> matter what, I get audio dropouts.  AFAICT this is the same for all
> Python, regardless of what modules one uses: you can't assign system
> priorities to different threads.  If you're planning to pipe MIDI to
> another app for playback, maybe it won't be an issue for you.

FWIW...  You could take your own advice, and devide your application
in two: one process manages the GUI, and the second is a back-end
process that plays the MIDI.  Your GUI can even launch the back end,
which will inherit the priority of the GUI, after which the GUI can
reduce its own priority (the priority of the back end will not be
affected by the change)...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/