default value in __init__

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Oct 16 05:43:30 EDT 2008

Chris Rebert:
> Although primitive and likely somewhat flawed, you may find the
> statistics in the "Compatibility Issues" section ofhttp://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-February/005704.html
> to be of interest.

I am quite glad to see that I am not the only one that cares for such
topic. And I think Guido is wrong here, but I can also see there's
little hope in fixing this Python wart. We'll probably have to see and
use another language to see this problem/bug fixed in some way (and
maybe other issues added, no language is perfect). Python is now
mature, being 15+ years old, so it's also rigid. Computer languages,
just like living species, resist change, and usually you need a new
language/species to fix some larger warts/bugs/design problems.
Python3 fixes tons of problems of Python2.x, but it's almost a new
language :-)

Bye,
bearophile