[NEWBIE] csv to excel format problem

Anders Eriksson andis59 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 02:31:51 EDT 2008

Hello Marco and welcome to the wonderful world of Python,

Your problem is that the file is a text file so the values you are reading
are text which you then write to the Excel sheet.

So you need to convert the text value to a float value. Now the Big Cahonas
has already been there so it's included:

float( [x])

Convert a string or a number to floating point. If the argument is a
string, it must contain a possibly signed decimal or floating point number,
possibly embedded in whitespace. Otherwise, the argument may be a plain or
long integer or a floating point number, and a floating point number with
the same value (within Python's floating point precision) is returned. If
no argument is given, returns 0.0.
Note: When passing in a string, values for NaN and Infinity may be
returned, depending on the underlying C library. The specific set of
strings accepted which cause these values to be returned depends entirely
on the C library and is known to vary

If you do this change it might work ;-)
Add these functions:
def isNaN(x):
    return isinstance(x, float) and x!=x
def isInf(x):
    return !isNaN(x) && isNaN( (x) - (x) )

in writeExcelRow change:
   for column in columns:
	fcolumn = float(column)
	if(isNaN(fcolumn) or isInf(fcolumn)):
		# do some error handling
	else:
		worksheet.write(lno, cno, column,style)
		cno = cno + 1

I'm sure that there are smarter ways of doing this and someone will
probably point them out ;-)

// Anders
--
English is not my first, or second, language
so anything strange, or insulting, is due to