2.6, 3.0, and truly independent intepreters

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 22 14:14:09 EDT 2008

> - In python 3, the C module API now supports true interpreter
> independence, but have all the modules in the python codebase been
> converted over?

No, none of them.

> Are they all now truly compliant?  It will only take
> a single static/global state variable in a module to potentially cause
> no end of pain in a multiple interpreter environment!  Yikes!

So you will have to suffer pain.

> - How close is python 3 really to true multithreaded use?

Python is as thread-safe as ever (i.e. completely thread-safe).

> I believe that true python independent thread/interpreter support is
> paramount and should become the top priority because this is the key
> consideration used by developers when they're deciding which
> interpreter to embed in their app. Until there's a hello world that
> demonstrates running independent python interpreters on multiple app
> threads, lua will remain the clear choice over python.  Python 3 needs
> true interpreter independence and multi-threaded support!

So what patches to achieve that goal have you contributed so far?

In open source, pleas have nearly zero effect; code contributions is
what has effect.

I don't think any of the current committers has a significant interest
in supporting multiple interpreters (and I say that as the one who wrote
and implemented PEP 3121). To make a significant change, you need to
start with a PEP, offer to implement it once accepted, and offer to
maintain the feature for five years.

Regards,
Martin