Where/how to propose an addition to a standard module?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Fri Oct 10 15:10:14 EDT 2008

I would like to propose a new method for the string.Template class.
What's the proper procedure for doing this?  I've joined the python-
ideas list, but that seems to be only for proposed language changes,
and my idea doesn't require any change to the language at all.

 From <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/>, it sounds like the
PEP process is appropriate here, though other PEPs (like <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3001/
 > make it sound as though these are meant for proposals for "Python
3000", which is not necessarily my intent.

Here's a brief sketch of my proposal, in case it helps:

Add a "match" function to string.Template, which takes a text string
as a parameter.  If this text string can be matched to the template,
by substituting some portion of the given string for each field of the
template, then .match returns a dictionary, where each key is a field
name and the value is the corresponding text from the input.  If the
text string cannot be matched to the template, then .match returns None.

I understand that if I'm to write a PEP, I'll need to flesh this out
considerably as per PEP 0001.  But that document also suggests first
discussing it here.  I'm still a newbie (or actually, oldbie-turned-
nonbie-turned-newbie-again), so I could use some advice.  What's the
next step in advocating for this idea?

Thanks,
- Joe