What is not objects in Python?

Aaron "Castironpi" Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:18:51 EDT 2008

On Oct 3, 5:10 am, "Tim Rowe" <digi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Lie Ryan <lie.1... at gmail.com>:
>
> > Actually str.len and len(str) is just like saying "the string's length"
> > and "the length of the string". There is no difference between the two
> > except for personal preference. (I am no linguist-- not even a native
> > speaker of English --but I think there is a subtle difference on
> > emphasis, "the string's length" emphasizes on the length being string's
> > property, while "the length of the string" emphasizes on the length
> > itself, am I correct?)
>
> Well, I'm doing a linguistics degree, so I'm not a linguist /yet/, but
> I think I know this one. There is the difference in emphasis that you
> mention, but there may be something more significant. In both forms,
> "length" is what linguists call the "head" of the noun phrase: it's
> the actual thing being talked about.  In "The string's length" the
> head is only pre-modified ("the string's" comes before the head and
> there's nothing after the head). "The length of the string" has both
> pre- and post- modification ("The" before, "of the string" after).
> Post modification in noun phrases has been measured to be much less
> frequent in spoken English than in written English, and it gets
> progressively more common as the writing style gets more formal.  That
> suggests that "the string's length" is an easier phrase to produce and
> understand, but "the length of the string" sounds more official.
>
> --
> Tim Rowe

... Unless, there is some corresponding distinction in mechanics
between speaking and writing.  That is, if something about the process
of generating writing makes it, post-modification, easier.  I'm going
to assume that it's been observed across all modes of writing too, (in
addition to across all formality levels), where in all cases it was
equally easy to go back and edit, which is impossible in speech.  And,
in the cases where the entire process of writing was observed, that
neither kind of modification occurred more frequently in revisions.