csv.reader problem tab-delimiter - newbie

hidding at uni-duesseldorf.de hidding at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Oct 21 13:44:35 EDT 2008

> Most likely the file is not tab delimited. If you used an editor to
> produce dummy.txt, check whether it uses soft tabs and disable it
> temporarily.
>
> HTH,
> George

> Most likely the file is not tab delimited. If you used an editor to
> produce dummy.txt, check whether it uses soft tabs and disable it
> temporarily.
>
> HTH,
> George

grrr thanks George, thanks Daniel, that's it. Works fine with real
tabs. Now this brings me to a follow-up: I have not prepared the input
ascii file, I just got if for post-processing (23 MB). Now it seems
that I would have to replace all series of spaces in this file with
real tabs at first.. How would you do that? Are there text editors
capable of doing this?

Best regards,

Bernhard