substitution of a method by a callable object

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Oct 22 12:46:22 EDT 2008

netimen a écrit :
> Can I substitute a method of a class by a callable object (not a
> function)? I can very easy insert my function in a class as a method,
> but an object - can't.

functions implement the descriptor protocol so when looked up as class
attributes, the lookup invoke their __get__ method, which in turn
returns a method object (which is a thin wrapper around the function,
the class and the instance).

You can either build the method manually (as Georges explained), or make
your own Obj class a proper descriptor:

from types import MethodType

class Obj(object):
      __name__ = "Obj" # for Method.__repr_