crossplatform standalone python apps

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 17 03:36:40 EDT 2008

> I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
> Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
> everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
> it and runs it.

I don't think this can possibly work. If the zipfile contains the Python
interpreter, it can't possibly work on all platforms - the Python
interpreter is run as native machine code of the respective CPU.

So either you drop the requirement that the zipfile must be
cross-platform, or you drop the requirement that the Python interpreter
is included in the zipfile.

Notice that Mac OS *.app dirs are *not* cross-platform, either - they
only work on Mac OS.

Regards,
Martin