execve error with the subprocess module

yogamatt1970 at gmail.com yogamatt1970 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 11:45:10 EDT 2008

I have some code which runs on a number of different machines, however
I see problems on one particular Solaris box.  When I call
Popen.wait(), the following exception is raised:

. . .
File "/basis/users/matt/Python-2.4.4/Lib/subprocess.py", line 558, in
__init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/basis/users/matt/Python-2.4.4/Lib/subprocess.py", line 992,
in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
TypeError: execve() arg 3 contains a non-string value

I've been poking around a bit subprocess.py and I can't figure out why
data is non-empty string in this line:
 data = os.read(errpipe_read, 1048576) # Exceptions limited to 1 MB)

>From what I see, the command I'm running is perfectly valid and should
be running without any problems.

Any help is appreciated.