Quality control in open source development

Matimus mccredie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:03:04 EDT 2008

On Oct 8, 8:43 am, Dave <dggoodwi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the open source licenses that allow redistribution of modified
> code, how do you keep someone unaffiliated with the Python community
> from creating his or her own version of python, and declaring it to be
> Python 2.6, or maybe Python 2.7 without any approval of anyone at the
> PSF?

How are they going to "declare" that their version is Python 2.x? What
forum would they use. Current users of python most likely look to
comp.lang.python or python.org for their python update news. New users
of python are likely to use google or another search engine, and
probably land at python.org. Is it possible for me to take Python's
source code, make some changes, and post it somewhere as Python 2.7?
Yes. Will anybody notice? Not likely. Others have made some pretty
sound arguments around trademarks and such, but I'm going to simply
argue that Python as a community has its own inertia, and it simply
isn't a practical to be concerned about a dubious fork. It simply
wouldn't take off.

Matt