Safe eval of insecure strings containing Python data structures?

Warren DeLano warren at delsci.com
Thu Oct 9 00:26:04 EDT 2008

JSON rocks!  Thanks everyone.

Ben wrote:

>More generally, you should never execute (via eval, exec, or whatever)
>*any* instruction from an untrusted path; especially not arbitrary
>data from an input stream.

Wow, for the record,  I completely disagree with this point of view:  Today's web apps wouldn't exist without safe forms of untrusted eval/exec (Javascript anyone?).  Such dogma is appropriate when dealing with the CPython VM, but not as a general principle.

"Rocket fuel may be dangerous, but you ain't shooting the moon without it!"

Cheers,
Warren