problem using ctypes with MMX intrinsics

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:55:45 EDT 2008

dcharno wrote:
> Is it possible to use ctypes with a shared library which uses MMX/SSE
> intrinsics?  I can load the library and access functions inside it, but
> I getting a seg fault when I hit one of the intrinsics.  I'm wondering
> if there might be some sort of stack alignment problem.
>
> I am using gcc version 4.2.3 and Python 2.5.2 on Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.

Well, stack alignment would be a problem with how the shared library gets
compiled, nothing to do with ctypes (I think). However, if you are passing in
arrays from ctypes, *they* may also be misaligned. Try to check the addresses of
the ctypes values you are passing in. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, though.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco