Installing multiple python versions - CentOs Linux

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Oct 17 08:51:58 EDT 2008

Brendan schrieb:
> The current CentOs Linux distro includes python 2.4.3. I need to
> install a more recent version but I am worried about breaking CentOs
> python dependencies. Is it safe to install python 2.6 using pup?

It should be, yes. Usually, Distros make sure it doesn't break anything
- and python can have several installations living happily along each
other.

The only caveat I see is that you might accidentially replace
/usr/bin/python with the newer version. Make sure you keep that to the
one the system wants, and simply use python2.6 as executable-name.

Diez