Tix/TCL Problem (I Think)

Steve Phillips steve077 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 14:53:16 EDT 2008

Hi All,
Wondering if you can tell me what I am missing.  I am trying to move some
projects over to the Linux side and Tix is giving me a fit.  Here's what I
get when I try to do something in Ubuntu relating to Tix. (Python 2.5)

>>> import Tix
>>> tk = Tix.Tk()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
    tk = Tix.Tk()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tix.py", line 210, in __init__
    self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
TclError: can't find package Tix

If I do this in IDLE on the Windows (Also Python 2.5), I don't encounter any
errors and I can go on my merry way.
Now I do note the TclError part but I am not familiar with TCL proper to
diagnose this error.  I went to /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk
and everything looks normal.  On the other hand, I can do:

import Tkinter
tk = Tkinter.Tk() on the Linux side and all is cool as well.

For most of my stuff where I use minor GUI, I always start out my code with:

import Tix
tk = Tix.Tk()

And so on.

Any Ideas?