Python - modules and netCDF

Michele Thornton michele.thornton at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 10:48:51 EDT 2008

Greetings,

I would like to use Python to open, edit, and write netCDF files.  I
mostly work as a GIS analyst and find myself needing to edit netCDF
files in order to meet CF Metadata conventions.  Along with Python, I
need to include, as far as I can tell, at least 2 modules, Scientific
Python (or SciPy) and Numeric Python (or NumPy) in order to have all
the correct pieces to make this work.  Does anybody have a way to
determine what version(s) of Python and  each module I need to
accomplish this task?  Should I start with Python 2.4, 2.5, or the
latest release, 2.6?

I keep finding conflicting and out-dated information especially as it
relates to Scientific Python (and/or SciPy) and Numeric Python (and/or
NumPy) and the ability to work with netCDF files.  For example,
written Jun8, 2007, "Note numpy does NOT work!"  But when I go to
sourceforge.net to download Numerical Python, I'm downloading NumPy -
1.2.0.  The Scientific Python site recomments Numerical Python release
23.8.2.  NumPy website says, "It may take months for the large code
base that uses Numeric and/or Numarray to transition to the new NumPy
system.   Links to the older packages are provided here.   New users
should start out with NumPy."

Thanks in advance,
Michele