Python 2.6, GUI not working on vista?

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Thu Oct 9 18:54:35 EDT 2008

* "Martin v. Löwis" (Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:41:44 +0200)
> > You can believe what you want. The people who developed UAC don't
> > have to support it.
>
> I know for a fact that the implementation is incomplete. In Windows
> Installer, there is no way (that I know of) to create an MSI file
> that conditionally turns on UAC, only when the installation actually
> needs privilege elevation.

You cannot turn on (or turn off) UAC for a single application or
operation. That's the whole point of UAC.

> There is a static bit in the installer that indicates whether the MSI
> file will do UAC, and there is no way to toggle this bit, e.g. after
> asking the user whether this is a "for me" installation or "for all users".
>
> I set this bit to "no UAC" for 2.6, in order to allow non-privileged
> installation at all - only to find out that (due to an unrelated
> problem), the "for me" installation doesn't actually work. I only found
> out after the release, because nobody bothered reporting this problem
> during the betas and release candidates. I didn't notice on my Vista
> machine, because that has VS 2008 installed, in which case the "for me"
> installation works just fine.

Are you sure it worked with UAC enabled and a non-privileged account?
Anyway, here are some links regarding UAC:

* http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vista-security/MakingAppsUACAware.aspx
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control#Requesting_elevation

...and for the background:
* http://www.faq-o-matic.net/2008/02/22/benutzerkontensteuerung-uac-