python debugger tips?

just.another.random.user at gmail.com just.another.random.user at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:33:06 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm switching to python from perl, and like the language a ton, but I
find pdb and pydb to be vastly inferior debuggers to the perl version.

In particular, I've grown very used to stepping into arbitrary
functions interactively.  For instance, in perl you can do this:

casqa1:~> perl -de 42

Editor support available.

Enter h or `h h' for help, or `man perldebug' for more help.

main::(-e:1):   42
  DB<1> sub foo {return 42}

  DB<2> s foo()
main::((eval 7)[/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/perl5db.pl:628]:3):
3:      foo();

  DB<<3>> s
main::foo((eval 6)[/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/perl5db.pl:628]:2):
2:      sub foo {return 42};
  DB<<3>>

Which is quite awesome; I don't have to restart the program if I want
to step through a given function call with a different set of values.

Does anyone have advice on any macros or something that i could use to
do this?

Additionally, what do people recommend as good "advanced" python
debugger guides?  Explaining breakpoints and all is useful, but I
really want to know how to make sophisticated macros and interact with
the debugger from the interactive prompt.

Thanks!