Pylab Fails with Runtime Error on Win XP Under Python 2.4

W. eWatson notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 12 15:56:26 EDT 2008

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:24:32 -0700, "W. eWatson"
> <notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>

>> available there. I've long forgotten how to get a console window up in Win
>> XP. I can strip it all the code way down to the from, and it will fail the
>> same way. Bad matplotlib install? Python error?
>>
> 	Well, in my case, I always put a copy of the XP "Command Prompt"
> shortcut on the "start" menu, customized for my tastes (font
> size/rows/columns). Lacking that, you should find it under:
> start/programs/accessories/command prompt. You could also do start/run
> and type "cmd".
>
> 	As for IDLE (which I don't use) -- possibly some conflict between
> its graphics system and that of matplotlib...
>

>> Here's the code. I added finish() to it.
>>

> 	Runs okay on my system when started from PythonWin, but I'm likely
> behind "current"
>
> PythonWin 2.4.3 (#69, Apr 11 2006, 15:32:42) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
> on win32.
>
> ActivePython 2.4.3 Build 12 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
> Python 2.4.3 (#69, Apr 11 2006, 15:32:42) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
> win32
>
> *** Installation started 2007/03/15 21:31 ***
> Source: C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Documents\matplotlib-0.90.0.win32-py2.4.exe
>
> 	Let me archive my site-packages directory, and then locate a newer
> matplotlib (hmmm, might need to get a newer numpy too){This is getting
> nasty -- my numpy had been an egg, and the new installer is an .exe}
>
> 	Okay -- matplotlib-0.98.3 and numpy-1.2.0 superpack installed...
> Trying your code in a fresh PythonWin
>
> 	Nope... That runs too (this time the left/right navigation arrows
> displayed, but the pop-up help over the buttons wasn't).
>
> 	And -- I just noticed, it IS using tk for plotting, and IDLE is also
> tk; good place for conflicting event loops.

Thanks.

Oddly when I use cmd, it gets me to settings and docs. If I try c:\whatever
I get a msg, and it remains in the same folder.

I guess PythonWin is a download for another IDE than IDLE. Will modules be
available like mathplotlib if I install it, or do I have to establish them
for it? I'll look PythonWin once I get past the cmd operation.